11 Powerful Foods Perfect For Clean Bulking
Summer is approaching and it’s now time to think about adding some serious size to your frame. Successful clean bulking comes as a result of making the right choices in the kitchen, as well as the gym. Support your heavy lifting with an excess of clean calories and you will add the lean muscle you crave while minimising fat gains.
Here are 11
powerful foods perfect for clean bulking:
[caption id="attachment_2708" align="aligncenter" width="614"]
Chicken thighs are a great way to add size[/caption]
1. Chicken Thighs
– forget the idea that breast is best and opt for the chicken thighs. Rich in protein, this part of the chicken is slightly higher in fat, meaning that you get some extra calories in every mouthful as well as a better flavour.
2. Salmon Fillets
– put the tins of tuna back on the shelf and grab yourself some salmon fillets. Salmon is not only high in muscle building protein, but also Omega-3 fatty acids. These good fats help to reduce muscle breakdown after an intense workout, meaning that you can recover in time for your next session.
3. Lean Beef
– stick to the lean cuts and lose any unwanted fat, and you will deliver the protein and additional calories your muscles need to grow. Lean beef is also a natural source of muscle building creatine making a no brainer for clean bulking.
– originating from South America, this member of the carbohydrate family is a complete protein, high in fibre and packs a healthy serving of Zinc, essential for boosting testosterone levels. It also ticks the gluten free box. The perfect choice as a post workout carbohydrate.
– a staple food in any clean bulking diet, oats are a very versatile slow release carbohydrate source. Throw them in your protein shake or mix them up with some peanut butter, they are a great way of adding extra calories to your diet.
[caption id="attachment_2717" align="aligncenter" width="815"]
Raisins are another great food helping to add size[/caption]
– they may be small but they pack a nutritional punch. Not only are they rich in carbohydrate (they contain 80g per 100g serving), they also contain many vitamins, amino acids, and minerals such as selenium and phosphorus, which facilitate the absorption of other nutrients and proteins in the body. Oh, and did I mention that they contain free radical fighting catechins?
7. Sweet Potatoes
– the bodybuilder’s potato of choice. With a low glycemic index (Low GI), these potatoes are digested slowly, meaning a gradual release of energy. They also come loaded with fibre, your RDA for vitamin A and 35% of daily Vitamin C requirement. Mashed or chipped they are a lean steak burger’s perfect partner.
8. Coconut Oil –
a versatile oil, made for clean bulking. Add it to a coffee in the morning, or throw it in your protein shake, it is an easy way to add extra calories to your diet. Additionally, 64% of the fat content is medium chain tryglycerides (MCT), which unlike other saturated fats are quickly oxidised and used for energy much like a carbohydrate.
9. Avocado –
this tasty fruit can only be described as a nutritional powerhouse, owing to the number of potential health benefits. Packed with healthy monounsaturated fats (in the form of Oleic acid) which reduce cholesterol levels, they also provide around 4g of protein, a load of fibre and are rich in vitamin K, vitamin B, vitamin C and vitamin E.
10. Natural Peanut Butter –
your favourite childhood spread is also a clean bulker’s dream, as long as you stick to the all natural variety. Unlike its commercial brother, the natural variety contains only healthy monounsaturated fats, while delivering a decent hit of protein and those all important extra calories. Before you hit the sack, add a spoonful to a bowl of greek yogurt and your growing muscles will be repaired while you sleep.
11. Walnuts –
when Mother Nature created walnuts, she created the king of nuts, an almost perfect blend of protein, healthy Omega 3 fats, fibre, antioxidants and vitamins and minerals. A perfect calorie boosting snack, they also contain the heart protecting amino acid L-Arginine and a number of unique and powerful free radical scavenging antioxidants. Research has even suggested that they help put a better lead in your pencil!
Your clean bulking
The above is a great start for foods to support clean bulking this summer, but we'd love to hear what's in YOUR clean bulking cupboards. Share what you use in the comments below!