Glazed Protein Doughnuts Two Ways
[caption id="attachment_3757" align="aligncenter" width="650"]
Glazed Protein Doughnuts Two Ways[/caption]
One of my greatest dirty pleasures is a classic iced Krispy Kreme doughnut. There's just something about the combination of sticky frosting with a sweet, soft doughnut that goes perfectly with a vat of coffee.
If, like me, you love your doughnuts, but aren't so keen on the ingredients, then there is a slightly less naughty way to enjoy them. Introducing these delicious glazed Protein Doughnuts, made as healthy and as nutritious as can possibly be (thanks to the help of GoNutrition's awesome products).
I love these best glazed with chocolate, but really you can add whatever glaze you fancy. My caramel sauce is also a huge hit! Enjoy...
Glazed Protein Doughnuts Two Ways Ingredients:
For the chocolate frosting:
- 3/4 cup reduced fat almond flour
- 1/2 cup GN Whey Protein 80 (Vanilla)
- 1/3 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2.5 tbsp grass-fed butter, melted
- 2-3 drops liquid stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs, separated
For the caramel frosting:
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 2 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice (I used honey)
- Pinch salt
Glazed Protein Doughnuts Two Ways Method:
1) To make your doughnuts, start by preheating the oven to 170C, then grease a doughnut tin with butter or coconut oil. In a bowl, mix together the almond flour, protein powder, bicarb and the pinch of salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, melted butter (ensure it's cool, else it will scramble the eggs), stevia, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and egg yolks. Stir into the dry mix until combined.
2) In another bowl, beat together the egg whites with an electric mixer until firm peaks form. (As a tip, ensure your bowl and mixer is incredibly clean and dry and there are no traces of yolk in the mix, else the whites won't foam properly). Gently fold into the doughnut batter until combined.
3) Spoon the mixture into your prepared doughnut tin, ensuring you don't make it more than 3/4s full, else it will overfill and you wont get doughnut holes. Place in the oven and bake for 11-14 minutes, or until golden. Leave to cool, before removing from the tin.
4) Once your doughnuts have cooled, start by making your choice of glaze. To make the raw chocolate, mix together all ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over the doughnuts and top with nuts, if desired. For the caramel glaze, blitz together all ingredients in a high-powered blender with 1/3 cup of the water the dates had soaked in. Add more water if needed and blend until smooth.
Glazed Protein Doughnuts Two Ways macros:
For the chocolate doughnuts:
192 calories per doughnut
For the caramel doughnuts:
172 calories per doughnut
YOUR VIEW: Made Glazed Protein Doughnuts Two Ways or want to see something specific from Sam next time?
COMMENT below what you've cooked or would like to see and we'll pass it on!